Experimental ship industry day
The Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) will conduct an experimental ship (X-ship) industry day on June 21 from 8:15 am to 4:40 pm and June 22 from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm. As announced, a dedicated RCN ship will be available for the next 4-5 years for testing of innovative technologies and concepts during the 2017-2021 time period. The experimental ship initiative will collect data points for future force development and ship builds.
The objective of the two-part day is to actively engage and review with industry where the RCN has forecasted future problem areas, which new emerging technologies might address. This industry day will also describe the process to determine the eligibility and selection of new technologies for at sea trials. These sea trials will collect data points for future force development and ship builds and provide the RCN with a first-hand view of their various benefits and merits.
Morning briefings during the X-ship industry day will include key information areas of interest to industry including:
- An overview of the evolution of the X-ship concept
- Definition of innovation areas of interest
- Overview of processes for selection
- What industry can expect from the RCN
- How industry once selected will be engaged
- Outcomes of at-sea trials for selected technologies
The afternoon one-on-one sessions are intended to clarify innovation areas and to provide additional information to industry in response to questions that the RCNpresents during the industry engagement day.
21 June 17
- 08:15 – 08:55 – Event ID Pickup/Last minute registrations
- 09:00 – 09:15 – Opening remarks (Director General Naval Force Development (DGNFD) Representative TBD)
- 09:15 – 10:00 – Build in Canada Innovation Program (BCIP) outline (Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC) representative TBD)
- 10:00 – 10:30 – X-Ship overview – Cdr Matt Plaschka
- 10:30 – 10:45 – Health break
- 10:45 – 12:15 – Areas of innovation/Development briefs
- Cyber/Communications – Cdr Carl Sohn
- Logistics support – LCdr Deanna Wilson, LCdr Matt Hardy
- Power/energy innovations, Water production, Environmental management and Damage Control (DC) innovations – Cdr Trevor Scurlock
- Training simulation systems, habitability improvements, stress management – TBD
- Unmanned systems – Cdr Simon Nadeau
- 12:15 – 13:40 – Lunch (No hosted lunch, at participants' cost)
- 13:40 – 16:40 – Individual discussions between industry representatives and Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) representatives (12 x 15 minute rounds)
22 June 17
- 09:00 – 12:00 – Individual discussions between industry representatives and CAF representatives (12 x 15 minute rounds) if deemed necessary by end of session on June 21, 2017
For more information, please email: CMS.XShip-NavireX@forces.gc.ca
79 Prince of Wales Dr.
Wed, 06/21/2017 - 08:15 to Thu, 06/22/2017 - 12:00